Imagine that you work for the maker of a leading brand of low-calorie frozen, microwavable food that estimates the following demand equation for its product using data from 26 supermarkets around the country for the month of April.
For a refresher on independent and dependent variables, please go to Sophia’s Website and review the Independent and Dependent Variables tutorial, located at http://www.sophia.org/tutorials/independent-and-dependent-variables--3.Note: The following is a regression equation. Standard errors are in parentheses for the demand for widgets.
QD = -2,000 - 100P + 15A + 25PX + 10I
(5,234) (2.29) (525) (1.75) (1.5) R2 = 0.85 n = 120 F = 35.25
ECO 550 – Assignments and Rubrics
Your supervisor has asked you to compute the elasticities for each independent variable. Assume the
following values for the independent variables:
Q = Quantity demanded of 3-pack units
P (in cents) = Price of the product = 200 cents per 3-pack unit
PX (in cents) = Price of leading competitor’s product = 300 cents per 3-pack unit
I (in dollars) = Per capita income of the standard metropolitan statistical area
(SMSA) in which the supermarkets are located = $5,000
A (in dollars) = Monthly advertising expenditures = $640
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
1. Compute the elasticities for each independent variable. Note: Write down all of your calculations.
2. Determine the implications for each of the computed elasticities for the business in terms of shortterm
and long-term pricing strategies. Provide a rationale in which you cite your results.
3. Recommend whether you believe that this firm should or should not cut its price to increase its
market share. Provide support for your recommendation.
4. Assume that all the factors affecting demand in this model remain the same, but that the price
has changed. Further assume that the prices are 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 cents.
a) Plot the demand curve for the firm.
b) Plot the corresponding supply curve on the same graph using the following MC/supply
function Q = -7909.89 + 79.0989P with the same prices.
c) Determine the equilibrium price and quantity.
d) Outline the significant factors that could cause changes in supply and demand for the
product. Determine the primary manner in which both the short-term and the long-term
changes in market conditions could impact the demand for, and the supply, of the
5. Indicate the crucial factors that could cause rightward shifts and leftward shifts of the demand and
6. Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia does not
qualify as an academic resource.
Share Question on Social Media
Submitted by PROFSTAN on April 26th, 2016 09:53
Rated 13 times.
Answer bought 0 times.
Original, compitent and reliable
Contact for Quality Work
I am a highly decorated tutor who settles for nothing but the best .
PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTING TUTOR&PRACTITIONER
Best dev Alive...