Module 2 Application Assignment: Pharmacodynamics and Pharmacokinetics
As a clinical mental health counselor, it is important to understand the biological processes related to mental health issues. Understanding the relationship between biology and substance abuse or addiction is critical. This assignment will help you to clarify your understanding of pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics.
You should also listen to the lecture, review supplemental materials, and use the rubrics as guides to help you complete the assignment. This assignment will count toward your final grade and is due by Day 7, and is worth 50 points.
As part of this assignment, you will reflect on the reading material, videos, and information from the Pearson Lab - Learning Outcomes 2 and 3. You should complete all of the activities associated with learning outcomes in the lab and watch the associated videos.
1. Define and understand the terminology commonly associated with the field of chemical dependency.
2. Describe the major effects of depressants, stimulants, cannabinoids, hallucinogens, opioids, and inhalants on the human brain and biological and physiological processes of the body.
3. Describe the genetic, biological, environmental, social, psychological, and philosophical influences of addiction.
Read your textbook chapters and additional resources. Also, complete all of the related material in MyCounselingLab. Reflect on the following as part of this assignment (two or three pages).
1. Discuss the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of opioids (2-3 paragraphs). Be sure to identify neurotransmitters, specific sites in the brain that play a role with opioids, and information related to how the drug is metabolized.
2. Review the physiological and psychological process related to withdrawal from opioids. Symptoms and processes vary based on individual differences, the class of substance used, the amount of substance taken, and the length of time over which the substance was taken. Compare and contrast withdrawal from opioids from withdrawal from alcohol (2 paragraphs)
3. Seriousness of symptoms may require a different level of care. Counselors need to know about these complications and the appropriate treatment recommendations for clients who are at risk. Discuss the considerations for treatment level related to opioid abuse/dependence. What symptoms might be present? What might be of medical concern? (1-2 paragraphs).
4. Discuss how you might explain to a client the physiology of tolerance. (2 paragraphs). Provide any necessary graphs or charts you might use.
Support your Application assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation.
Assignment should be 2-3 pages.
1. Go to the Lamar University Library and download the following article:
Stoops, W. W., Hatton, K. W., Lofwall, M. R., Nuzzo, P. A., & Walsh, S. L. (2010). Intravenous oxycodone, hydrocodone, and morphine in recreational opioid users: Abuse potential and relative potencies. Psychopharmacology, 212(2), 193-203. doi:10.1007/s00213-010-1942-4
2. Read the assigned article for the week
3. Consider all of the associated reading materials and MyCounselingLab materials
4. Provide a critique of the assigned article using related reading and materials in support of your critique.
5. Critique must include all five criteria:
a. Introduction and summary of the article
b. Major strengths in the article.
c. Major weaknesses or gaps in the article
d. Two areas to consider in the practice of substance abuse counseling
e. Personal reflection and conclusion
6. Use APA formatting.
This is the Title of My Assignment
Semester Year Term
This is the Title of My Assignment
Introduction or Article Summary
Here is where you will discuss the first criteria of the critique. Provide a brief summary of the key points of the article, including the problem statement and purpose of the study. Distinguish your thoughts from the author(s) words and include appropriate citations. Also, remember to use quotes sparingly or not at all (paraphrase instead when using sources) to show you understand and can apply the material. Times New Roman 12 point font, double spacing, and one inch margins on all four sides are used throughout the paper. This section should be one to two paragraphs total. A reader who has not read the article should be able to understand your summary. Keep in mind, however, that the critique below should be longer than your summary.
Here is where you will discuss the major strengths in the article. Some of the questions you should ask yourself: What parts of the article do you think the author(s) did that was positive? What was learned from the article? Is the title appropriate and clear? Is the purpose of the article made clear? Are the methods described adequately? Is the sample selection described representative and unbiased? Are the statistical methods appropriate? Did the authors include a theoretical framework? Is it appropriate for this study? Did the author(s) provide a sufficient and relevant literature review? Have any ideas been over or under emphasized? (give examples and suggestions for revisions). What is the validity and reliability of the study?
Here is where you will discuss any weaknesses in the article. What are the limitations? Do the data and conclusions contradict each other? Was the discussion relevant? You can ask yourself some of the same questions as above, and apply them as either strengths or weaknesses, depending on your critique. There is no right or wrong here. It is your qualified opinion of the article.
Future areas to Consider
What questions remain unanswered? How could future studies be improved? Focus on areas to consider in the practice of substance abuse counseling. What type of clientele would benefit from this research approach?
Reflection and Conclusion
These are your conclusions, not the authors. Ask yourself, what surprised you or struck you as interesting? If you totally agree or disagree with the author(s), discuss that here and explain what you really thought about this article. In your opinion, do the data support the conclusions made by the author(s)? Are the results thought provoking? What was the most important thing you learned by reading and critiquing this article?
Before submitting your assignment, make sure you proofread your paper for mechanics, usage, grammar, spelling, and sentence structure and ensure all assignment criteria have been met. Each section of your review (each of the five criteria) should be at least one well-developed paragraph.
(Notice that this starts on a new page. To make sure it stays on its own page, use Insert Page Break). Your references will follow the general format below and will be double spaced without additional spaces between references. This is an example of how to cite a journal article from Week 1. Be sure to consult your APA manual for specific instructions on reference formatting of various sources. Note that the directs say to provide a critique of the assigned article using related reading and materials in support of your critique, so you should have more than one reference here.
Birnbaum, H. G., White, A. G., Schiller, M., Waldman, T. Cleveland, J. M., & Roland, C. L. (2011). Societal costs of prescription opioid abuse, dependence, and misuse in the United States. Pain Medicine, 12(4), 657-667.
|Module 2 Application Assignment|
|14349||na||Which of the following structures is found in all cells|
|14348||na||Which of the following structures is found in all cells|
|14347||its an exam with 20 questions the subject is pharmacy technician||pharmacy technician|
For this assignment, you'll write three limericks about neuroscience. A limerick is a miniature poem. Here's an example, about neuroplasticity:
It's a fortunate person whose brain
(in Rosenzweig & Bennett (1996). Behavioral Brain Research, 78, 57-65)
Each of your three limericks should be five lines long, and should obey the conventional limerick rhyming structure (AABBA; the first, second, and fifth lines should rhyme with each other, and the third and fourth should rhyme as well). Usually the first, second, and fifth lines are a little longer than the third and fourth lines.
One of your limericks should be about neurons, one of your limericks should be about a neurotransmitter of your choice, and one of your limericks should be about a brain structure, region, or lobe of your choice. Your limericks should each present accurate and thoughtful descriptions of their biological functions, and their role in psychology.
Your submission, like all reflection assignments, will be graded according to the following rubric:
Your limericks must be written originally, by you. Submissions will be processed through TurnItIn.com to ensure their originality.
|three limericks about neuroscience|
For this assignment, write a 1,000-1,250-word paper on SICKLE CELL DISEASE. Include the following: Use subheadings, APA, proper reference and in text citation
1. Examine how genetics can influence policy issues.
2. Discuss any nutritional influences for the cause of this disease.
3. Discuss the process of nutritional assessment and counseling as it relates to health, prevention, screening, diagnostics, prognostics, selection of treatment, and monitoring of treatment effectiveness.
4. Discuss the prevalence rates, testing, treatment, and prognosis as they relate to human nutrition.
This activity is designed to expose you to a variety of nursing theory perspectives.
Select a nursing theory you have researched in past weeks.
Analyze the theory. Your analysis should include:
Cite at least three scholarly articles.
Format your assignment as one of the following:
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
|14202||Search and Seizures" Please respond to the following:|
|14193||Laws of science|
|14101||TEAS 6 SCIENCE|
|14098||already took the teas once and found the questions and answers to the first attempt but need the second attempt version.||teas 6 retake questions and answers|
|14096||I need the real question and answer for the teas 6! (reading, math, science, english?||TEAS TEST|
|14074||I really need this please||how does wind occur near mountains in the daytime?|
|14073||I really need this please||how does wind occur near mountains in the daytime?|
|14036||Hesi A2- math, reading, grammar, A&P||HESI A2|
|14023||Help with Science on teas 6 test||Teas 6|
|14012||teas 6||teas 6 math, science and english|
|14009||Teas English Math and Science|
need the answers for the science and math portion of the teas RETAKE version.
|13987||For retake version of teas 6||Science and math teas|
|13986||For the retake version of the teas test||Science|
|13979||ATI TEST VERSION SIX FOR SCIENCE||13859 ati test six version|
|13960||I'm re-taking teas version 6 and need help with reading, structure, and science. Thanks!||Teas version 6 re-take|
Ati teas Test six version
|Ati teas 6 version|
|13923||Ati science section teas Test six version||Ati teas|
|13921||Reading and science Teas 6||Teas 6|
|13920||Reading and science Teas 6||Teas 6|
|13902||if you have the right reading part let me know please. i need the retake one because i already took it one time. do you have everything?? if so how much for the package?||teas 6 reading and science ( retake part)|